Wednesday, October 30, 2013

When Prioritizing Isn't Compromise

It is almost the end of October. I haven't accomplished nearly enough items on my Happiness Project October Resolutions, and you know what....I was a little surprised at my reaction. Instead of getting down on myself for not accomplishing my goals, I was a little relieved. 

This past month has been a whirlwind for my sweetheart and me. I have filled my calendar with things I love to do, and things WE love to do. Keeping up with these events sure puts a lot of my other goal-setting behind. BUT, I have to say, I am completely and utterly happy. I have been able to maintain a balance of things that I should be doing to find my ultimate happiness (my October resolutions), and doing things that really make me happy, and that need to happen. 

I realized that sometimes other things that make me happy SHOULD be put on hold for those other things that make me happy - the more important things. For example, as much as I want to complete my scanning project so I don't have massive amounts of paper around the house, I found that being with people I care about trumps this project. Most often, I find that the time I set aside for my scanning project is interrupted. Typically, I don't like interruptions, but the interruptions I am talking about include a little quality time with my sweetheart, going out with or calling great friends, talking with family members on the phone, etc.

During my Happiness Project, I have also had to learn to put some things on hold in order to meet the basic needs of my home. Just because cleaning isn't part of my happiness project resolutions for the month, doesn't mean that it isn't important to my health and happiness. Sometimes I groan inside to think that I need to do the dishes AGAIN instead of completing my scanning project....and you know what, it is ok. 

There are some things that take priority, and I don't feel like I am 'compromising my happiness' by paying attention to those other things that are necessary for my overall happiness.

No comments: