Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Happiness Project: Holier Than Thou

While I was reading the Happiness Project, I couldn't help but get a sense of "Holier Than Thou." I felt the author was somehow rubbing in my face that she could do all of these things better than anyone else. But, I was hooked on the book and kept reading. After I got over my initial impressions, I started reading just for the sake of reading. I approached the book thinking, I wonder how I can apply this to myself? Instead of wrapping my mind around the "I am so much better than you - look what I can do....and see, I even wrote a book and making a great living off it," I decided to let her words inspire those hidden places in my mind/soul/body that I need to hone. 

I remember rolling my eyes sarcastically as the author recalled all these WONDERFUL things she was trying to do to improve, and even that she accomplished. Then I noticed that those areas of growth for her were areas of weakness for me. You mean, I was taking offense at someone else's achievements? Wow, that was a new low for me. How dare I! After this realization, the book became one of the most fun reads, and inspired me to blog about my experience with my own Happiness Project. 

I am making a blind assumption that when I write about my experiences that I may come across "Holier Than Thou", and I totally understand why people who read about what I will be doing might feel that way. Fact is, I don't want to rub my accomplishments in your face. In a world where I should be mourning with those that mourn, and comforting those that stand in need of comfort, I am using the blog as a time of reflection, pondering, and hoping that maybe some things that I do are inspiring to others resolved to be happy.

Perhaps my intention of sharing my experiences is to 'pay back' (somehow) all those that have gathered me under their wing and buoyed me up because they were willing to share. There just doesn't seem to be enough thanks I can give to those people - my angels, as I like to call them. 

Too long have I been disappointed because I have had unreal expectations. Too long have I waited to start things that I know will make me happy, and find myself falling into the trap of complacency. I know it will take time to grow...changes of heart usually take time.

So, readers, I hope you will enjoy my journey as I try to gain happiness and develop a well-balanced life.

No comments: