Thursday, July 25, 2013

Happiness Project: Getting Rid of My Trash

I am currently reading At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. I can't tell you how much I love, love, love this book. It is the first part of the Mitford series, and I just can't get enough. I have always found pleasure reading and watching stories about one character and the community that shapes them. Gilmore Girls, for example, just wouldn't be the same without all the other quirky characters that shape Loralie and Rorie.

Another thing I love about this book is that it is based on the life of a small town rector. I love the encouragement and wisdom he gives to his patrons, and found a way to tie his wisdom into my Happiness Project.

Getting rid of my trash: At one point, the rector meets a stranger who is trying to figure out if there is a God, but never receives an answer. He explains that getting rid of those things that are barriers to receiving answers is a way we can receive revelation. Another name for this is repentance. The rector tries to explain this to the man by saying, "Let's say you need to move into another factory building. Trouble is, it's crowded with useless, out-of-date equipment. Until you clear out the rubbish and get the right equipment installed, you're paralyzed, you can't produce." He continues, "You can keep the factory shut down and unproductive, or you can clear it out and get to work. Is your life working?" 

For the Happiness Project, I decided that August seems like the perfect month to focus on my spirituality and really evaluate if my life is working by getting rid of bad habits (saying my prayers in bed and falling asleep every time), and developing those habits I have been putting off (kneeling). I know I am going to need to identify things that are preventing me from being close to God. It will be a lot of soul searching and sticking to commitments to do those things I know I should already be doing.


No comments: