Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Review: Children's Literature....How I Love Thee!

I went back to my last book review post and realized I haven't written a review since October. SAD, very sad. I have mentioned a couple of books in my other blog posts, but alas, I have not done a complete book review of them. Let me catch you up:

November 2012- July 2013

Currently reading: The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin - unfinished

I can tell you though that I am loving it. I have already written a post about my upcoming transformation. I like the idea of researching happiness, even though I have a pretty good formula already.

The Giver, Lois Lowry - 5*

This is by far my most favorite children's book. I have re-read this at least 6 times. I capture something different every time. I am not quite sure why this book is so incredible for me. This time I was struck by how much I take for granted. Color, feeling, knowledge, history, etc. I think one thing that struck a chord with me the most is feeling. I remember a time where I was numb to emotional pain. This lasted for several months. I remember wanting to feel something, anything...just as long as I could feel. There are several pivotal scenes regarding feelings. I think sometimes, even when I am feeling pain, I just want it to go away, to be numb. But then I remember what it was like not to feel, and I find that I have to let the pain take it course. If I decide I can learn something from this pain, the painful experience becomes a memory that helps me toward progression. Read it. You will know what I am talking about. 

The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd - 5*

There were so many great nuggets of wisdom in this book. I tend to have sensitivity to books regarding racial abuse, or abuse of any kind. I skipped the class that had us watch Schindler's list because I just can't take it. However, I found this book to be one of hope, endurance, courage, in spite of the fact that it takes place during a sad time in American's history. I loved the flow of the book, and the vibrant characters. I found myself wanting to reach out to this teenage girl myself and tell her how much she is worth. Must have been a good read.

Rocket Boys, Homer Hickam - 5*

A must read. I was so inspired by this book, I wanted to go make something of myself in honor of Sierra Vista. I couldn't put this one down, and want to see the movie October Sky. I enjoyed his writing style so much, I have looked into other books he has authored. His blend of creativity and explanation makes for a great read. I always wonder about memoirs that are written several years after the fact. Regardless, I guess if it wasn't true, I would still really enjoy it. Thank goodness no one has said it wasn't...and there are a ton of people who could validate it.

Running With Scissors, Augusten Burroughs - 1*

I only remember having seen the previews for the book-based movie and thinking, that show looks so dry...I would love it! Too bad the rating is not comparable to my taste! The first chapter was intriguing. I remember just wanting to get through the second because of the foul play. When I got to the third, I started losing hope that this was indeed going to be a good story. I stopped at the fourth. The writing was vivid and great. I would say A+ for creative writing. Sorry Mr. Burroughs, I just couldn't get past the swears and crude nature of the first couple chapters - that's just me.

The Magician's Nephew, C.S. Lewis - 4*

I was so excited to start reading The Chronicles of Narnia series. I thoroughly enjoyed the book for its humor, action, symbolism, and character development. However, during the book, I found that it was too fast. there was too much happening in such a short amount of time. My mind was not ready to warp from one world to another, back to another. I couldn't catch up. I found myself getting more and more annoyed with it because my mind was too overworked in trying to keep up. I am not going to give up reading the rest of the series. I must proceed with caution if I expect the series to be any different.

Harry Potter books 1-4, J.K. Rowling - 5*

Yes, yes, yes. Always and forever some of the most fantastic writing, EVER. I stopped reading them because I needed something different in the mix. I also didn't want to carry books 5-7 in my purse, and I refuse to buy a kindle.

Embers of Love, Tracie Peterson - incomplete

I was heavily involved with wedding planning, and didn't want to read a melodrama when I felt like I was having my own. I will most likely revisit this book. It was cute....or has been, so far.

I missed reading for fun when I was studying for my PMP. I felt guilty when I couldn't lavish away in my books because I needed to be studying. I found I was extremely frustrated when I would read sentences over and over in my text books and not get a single word. If I can conquer Great Expectations or Count of Monte Cristo, I can surely successfully read the PmBOK, or the Rita Mulcahy PMP books, right? Hazaa, I did read them, and they got more interesting the more I studied them. 

As for me and my house, we prefer Children's Literature.


No comments: