According to some of my sources, HR reps in government have suggested that people put pictures on their resumes. It was suggested that I add mine to that pile even though I didn't think it was appropriate for my industry. At first, this suggestion was absolutely something I would not consider. My arguments were:
- I know that organizations cannot hire based on any kind of discrimination i.e. age, gender, race, etc.
- I didn't want someone having me or not having me into an interview because of how I looked.
- I am a woman, and including a picture could set me apart as someone who is seeking to 'look good' rather than think I will be hired based on my skills.
- Most guys don't understand c, but the way a woman is perceived in any job is very different than the way a man is perceived. One might argue that because I have this bias, it will prevent me from getting those higher level jobs. However, it is not my attitude I am concerned with, it is the research behind the attitudes of others that concerns me. The way women and men interact, and how they are perceived in the workforce is something I have studied for a while, and is very real!
- Having a picture will get my resume to stand out from the rest....because I am sure these people haven't included their pictures.
- It allows the interviewer to personalize my resume, along with all my skills.
- My dad and other executives said it was OK.
I should have listened to my gut. I now fear that putting my picture on my resume was a huge mistake. So, now that my resume is being floated all over DC (hopeful this is the case), what can I do? I can change my resume here on out, for sure. But, how do I replace those others? I feel so stupid.