Tuesday, September 1, 2009

On the Same Page-page


Remember the movie, What Women Want? Knowing what other people think...what an interesting concept. Don't get me wrong, half of the mystery and intrigue of dating is not knowing what the other person is thinking, right? That is what makes it fun, challenging and adventurous. And I certainly realize that as a couple grows together, they learn and develop a communication that works for them. Ah...communication. Remember how our youth are learning how to communicate via text...that is a whole other issue. What I am talking about right now is communication for the here and now. I am talking about the absolute elimination of the DTR (define the relationship).

Often in a relationship with a boy ;) I get overanxious and nervous at the get-go wondering...how slow do I take it, I want them to know I am interested in them, but if I give away the farm...the mystery and intrigue is gone and they don't want a part in it, even if they say they don't like the 'game' they are lying because boys like the chase...tis the way of man, so he chases me, but how far and how long? do you like me check yes, no, maybe....all that jazz. (Wow, now you people have seen into my mind...a very scary place to be)!

So, to make the transition of dating easier for us people and instead of communicating, because obviously people don't like that as much as they say they do, I thought I would create a web page call the "On the Same Page" page.
Instead of having a DTR (define the relationship), people could just belong to this site that gives them several options of 'where they are' in a relationship. It would have various check-box items that any couple can use to communicate which page they are on. This avoids the whole 'learning how to communicate about the relationship before I realize I want a relationship' phase. These check boxes would include some of the following ideas/status-indicators:

1. Just want to get some action
2. Looking for someone to have a good time with
3. Want commitment, but not until I date you for 3 months
4. Can meet family whenever, cause it doesn't create pressure
5. Don't want to meet family until we are engaged
6. Don't want you to chip in for dinners, I want to take care of it
7. Don't want to be invited to your shindigs until after we are boyfriend and girlfriend as to avoid the awkward 'how long have you been dating?' question
8. Looking for a girlfriend who will commit and not ask questions like 'where are we going' every two weeks
9. Looking for a marital companion, but not to be married until I say so
10. Looking to get married, but do not want to rush a good thing

You know, it would be just SO much easier this way. But in the words of Ryan Reynolds in the new movie The Proposal, "Yes that would be easier." If you haven't seen the movie, you will not get what I am saying. In the meantime, I found a great song, (kudos to Thad Hall for showing me that I am not the only one that needs to be on the same page),
I'd Really Love to See You, by the one and only England Dan and John Ford Coley.

Hello
Yeah, it's been a while
Not much, how about you
I'm not sure why I called
I guess I really just wanted to talk to you

And I was thinkin' maybe later on
We could get together for a while
It's been such a long time
And I really do miss your smile

I'm not talking about movin' in
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
And I'd really love to see you tonight

We could go walkin' through a windy park
Take a drive along the beach
Or stay at home and watch TV
You see it really doesn't matter much to me

I'm not talking about movin' in
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
And I'd really love to see you tonight

I won't ask for promises
So you don't have to lie
We've both played that game before
Say I love you then say goodbye

I'm not talking about movin' in
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
And I'd really love to see you tonight

I'm not talking about movin' in
And I don't want to change your life
But there's a warm wind blowin' the stars around
And I'd really love to see you tonight




No comments: