Monday, June 9, 2008

No Longer a Closet Trekkie!

I have many memories of my growing-up years...but some memories that I am truly fond of include watching Star Trek episodes for family home evening, or when folding laundry. My parents loved watching Captain Kirk as his leadership skills and adventurous spirit took him to the far ends of the galaxy. Not necessarily a trekkie, I learned to love the original Star Trek...and found myself following it through Star Trek Next Generation. My fascination for following it though ended with Captain Pecard. I no longer follow it, but love catching up on all the older classic episodes. Today I thought I would dedicate my blog to that fond memory!

My favorite movie: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

My favorite episode: The Game

Links: Star Trek Website

Recent Article about how William Shatner feels about his experience. Taken from CNN.com.

Shatner on 'Trek': 'You know, that's rather good'

STUDIO CITY, California (AP) -- One recent week, William Shatner did something he hadn't done for many years -- watched the original "Star Trek." It was kind of an accident.

In the "Trek" episode "A Piece of the Action," Spock and Kirk traveled to a planet modeled on 1920s gangsters.

Now, you might think that a bit odd. But Shatner rarely watches himself work. When it comes to acting, he says, he lives in the moment and moves on. Same thing these days with his work as Denny Crane on ABC's "Boston Legal."

This particular night, though, he was recovering from hip surgery and couldn't sleep, so he was watching TV. An old episode came on -- the one where the crew of the USS Enterprise visited a society that had modeled itself after Chicago gangsters of the 1920s. Kirk and Spock dressed up in pinstripe suits and held court as tough guys.

Watching, Shatner was more pleased than he expected.

"I haven't seen myself playing Captain Kirk in a long, long time," he says. "And I watched it now, from my perspective of 40 years later, and I thought, 'You know, that's rather good.' It's a starship captain trying to do the accent, the Noo Yawk accent, trying to play tough, trying to be one of the guys. It's not quite right, but it's what a starship captain would have done -- a decent imitation, enough to fool those guys but not the audience."

Shatner won't be playing Kirk in the upcoming reboot of "Star Trek" directed by J.J. Abrams. Leonard Nimoy plays an aging Spock, but the Jim Kirk character -- a young version -- is portrayed by actor Chris Pine. Shatner has said he's sad but not angry at the decision, which springs from the killing off of Kirk in the 1994 film "Star Trek Generations."

The recent late-night TV watching got Shatner thinking, though, about the character of Kirk and how it has endured.

"That was a good hero," Shatner says. "He made decisions. He was forceful. He was compassionate. He was the instigator. He fought hard and long physically and emotionally. He carried the dilemma of whether to intrude or not to intrude. It was all the classic forms of good Greek playmaking: The hero has the dilemma and resolves the dilemma."

Even the series' renowned cheesy production design, done on an increasingly tight budget through the show's 1966-69 run, didn't put him off.

"The actors were wonderful. And I didn't care about the sets or anything like that or the cheesy spaceship," Shatner says. "I think that's what happens in 'Star Trek.' Your eye goes past all the faults because you're concentrated on the actors and the plot."

2 comments:

Tara Bergsjo said...

I never really got into that show, but my parents and my brother LOVED it!

Carolyn Hanson said...

I've never seen an episode. But, I love the article below. :) You're a cutie!