Friday, August 28, 2009

Things I forgot

There are many things that I often forget and constantly need to remind myself of. I find that writing them down helps me remember. This past week I forgot:
  • Having long hair can sometimes be a pain. I was walking through my carpeted living room the other day, long hair catching itself between my toes. Last year I purchased "The Magic Broom" made of plastic thistles that is supposed to magically get all the hair out of the carpet, creating a space where hair doesn't manage to sneak in between toes. Alas, even after having magic-broomed and vacuumed the area, I still find hairs between my toes. Looks like I will be wearing socks for a while.
  • My body is capable of great things.....but not others. No matter how hard I try to remind myself, I always tend to forget that my body hates running. It screams murder to its joints and cramps. It really prefers elliptical, biking, swimming, hiking, snowshoeing, anything but running.
  • Preparing for things pays off. I always forget that when I prepare myself for any situation, that I am better off. I loved that I read all my homework and read my syllab(i) prior to class this past week. I felt like I was ahead of the curve and felt confident that I would do well this year. Perhaps I should do my homework in advance this semester too.
  • Let it roll. I keep forgetting that just because I have gone out on more than 7 dates with someone, it doesn't mean that I am automatically a 'girlfriend.' Something I constantly forget, I have to remind myself that just because I am ready for the next step, doesn't often guarantee that someone else is. In any relationship....
  • Even 20 minutes of exercise a day can change a life. It is true. 20 minutes of cardio and weight lifting really gives me the strength to carry out certain tasks. I find that I am not as tired, I look better in my clothes, which is great for confidence and I wonder why I don't just dedicate that much time to exercise every day.
  • It is always good to hear from people I haven't heard from in a while. Really, I love it. Even if it means catching up after 10 years...I cherish those moments. Why don't I do it more?
  • Just because you put on your signal while driving, doesn't guarantee that people will let you in. Period.
  • It is always better to be 10 minutes early than 10 minutes late. Maybe a little excessive, but my family and I would always arrive to the airport 1 hour earlier than the 1 hour allotted, meaning, we would be at the airport 2 hours before our flight left. I found that it wasn't just the airport that we would arrive early to. Church, school, meetings, movies, plays, etc., are all great examples of events that we would arrive early to. I am glad my dad instilled in me a certain sense of 'flat tire' time, otherwise I wouldn't have made it to class on time the day there was a ton of construction and everything was down to one lane on the first day of school.
  • People watching rocks. I sometimes get so caught up in what I have to do that I rarely people watch. This week was different. I took time to see: 1. An old man totally jamming to his rock-n-roll in his yellow slugbug, he was seriously like 70 years old. 2. This older gentleman falling off his chair and 10 people went to help him up....made me cry...there is good in this world. 3. Someone helping a child 4. A cute couple on their first date
  • Sometimes when solidifying meeting appointments, it is good to go over all the details one more time. Something I always seem to forget is that people are not in my brain. They can't read my mind all the time...or if at all. It is very important when talking about meeting someone that you hash out the details, even if they were said earlier in the conversation...just to be safe.
Well, now that I have written it down, it should work, right? Let's see if I can remember these few things...wish me luck.

5 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I often the forget the same things of which you wrote. Well, except for the long hair one since my hair is short :) I wish you luck in remembering.

Tara Bergsjo said...

Your AWESOME!!!!!!

Tyler P said...

How about after ten dates? Nothing is more fragile than relationships. Maybe a new friend, maybe a new acquaintance, maybe a first date, maybe a long time friend who has always been there for you...needs you now. I love you, Lindsey Blau!

Globe Trecker said...

These are such great points! You make so much sense.

Rustin & Kelsi said...

Just thought I'd say hi since you haven't heard from me in a while! :) To participate on one of your list enjoyments. We've been home for a month! It's weird how busy we are even though I can't find a job! Crazy market. I've never had to try to find a job before. It's interesting. But Rusty got lucky and jumped right into working. Or unlucky . . . He doesn't like working for people, so we'll see what he ends up doing. At least they let me get back on unemployment.